The purpose of this guideline is to inform you of standard specifications and tolerances for the conversion of litho printed envelopes. If you have any questions, please contact us.
Before creating a new envelope design, it is required that a blank of the envelope or a 1-up dieline be secured from your representative. Our most popular layouts are available as an electronic template.
Note: It is suggested that you do not use a previously printed envelope or an envelope from a competitor at the creative stage. Slight variations are difficult to detect until the actual conversion and it can be a very costly venture to repair or replace the product at the converting stage.
ENVELOPE GRAPHICS & DESIGN:
Envelope design and graphics should be planned around these tolerances and should take into account the following factors:
- Matching graphics from one envelope panel to another is nearly impossible
- Matching graphics from the flap to the back panels is nearly impossible
- Must plan a minimum of 3/16” bleed around each panel
- Copy should be kept away from the window area by at least 3/16” unless intended
- Plus or minus 1/16 of an inch tolerance must be allowed for in the following areas: (Die cutting, Folding, Windows)
Where design does not confirm to above, please be advised that variations are likely to be visually obvious.
WINDOW SPECIFICATIONS - “FRONT”
WINDOW SPECIFICATIONS - “BACK”
- Window may be positioned within 3/8” of the perimeter of the envelope.
- Showcase windows must allow a 7/8” perimeter
- Multiple window envelopes require a minimum of 1/4” between windows to allow for gumming (same for back)
- Wrap around windows to be discussed for position
RECOMMENDED MINIMUM BASIS WEIGHT TO BE USED:
- No closer than 1-3/8” minimum from the end of the back panel of the envelope blank.
- Position left and right is determined by size of side seam
- No lower than 3/8” from bottom score
- All showcase windows require 80lb. basis weight paper on sizes 6 x 9" and under, and 100lb. basis weight for envelopes larger than 6 x 9"
- Wrap around windows must be discussed for position
Note: When a special paper is required, we recommend that you check with your account manager prior to design. We will be glad to investigate to ensure that the paper you request will indeed convert into a compliant product.
ENVELOPE SIZE COATED UNCOATED:
- up to 6" x 9": 60lb or 70lb
- over 6" x 9": 60lb, 70lb or 80lb
If you are supplying printed sheets for conversion, please ensure the following guidelines are followed:
RUN WASTE - NORMAL MAILING ENVELOPES:
Order Quantity Run Waste:
For each version has less than 10M 2,000 over required
Less than 20M 15% waste
Over 20M 10% waste
Over 500M 8% waste
For more complex envelope designs (.i.e. Perfs, Multiple Windows or Large Window Envelopes), please contact us to discuss design and application.CLIENT/PRINTER RESPONSIBILITIES:
A dieline has been secured from us.
Film complies with all specifications noted above.
When there is full coverage graphics on coated stock, check with us as to whether or not a spot/full varnish will be required.
Arrange for a proof of the full printed sheet to be made, which follows the layout provided.
Forward the proof of the full printed sheet to us or ask for your representative to come in and see the proof.
Arrange for any requested changes to be done and a new proof provided.
We will sign off on the final proof for convert-ability.
Upon completion of printing, arrange for the dieline to be returned with printed stock.